Saturday, March 10, 2012

Mingled Identities


           When I look at myself in the mirror, I see the elements of my German, Swiss, and Polish heritage in my rounded face and largish nose. I realize there is nothing that distinguishes my features as very different from the descendants of other white Europeans, anything that sets me visibly apart from the Anglo mainstream of which I am for all intents and purposes a part. While in the early days of America Germans were viewed as undesirable immigrants (Benjamin Franklin in particular disliked them), the distinctions between my ancestors and the English-descended have, in most cases, vanished. The last generation I know of that spoke any form of German was that of my great-grandparents on my mother’s side. Standard American English, with the praised Midwestern accent, has replaced it.

            While the social distinctions have disappeared and my family has been privileged to receive all the benefits of being white citizens, I think of the trace elements of my heritage that set me apart from the mainstream, if ever so slightly. I recall learning that not all my friends eat sauerkraut as often as my family does, or that hiding a pickle ornament on the Christmas tree is not a tradition of many. I notice, too, that my family is linked into the Mennonite church, and that the family business of farming is linked to this. My own pacifist stance is linked to this as well, as is my appreciation for four-part a cappela hymn singing. I realize that having access to a Mennonite institution for higher education that celebrates and nurtures these aspects of my identity is a privilege as well.

            But my identity is linked to far more than just my appearance and the lingering traditions of my ethnic background. I have Germany, Switzerland, and Prussia in me, but I have Canada and America in me too. Different ethnicities, even ones that are no longer singled out in mainstream culture, merge with faith and gender identity. Growing up on a farm, traveling the globe, my love of reading, my friends – these things, too, make me who I am. It is only in the combinations of these elements, and the elements that will be added yet, that I am made who I am.  

3 comments:

  1. Tillie,

    It's interesting to think about how we look at appearance. One things I've often thought about is whether certain cultural perceptions of beauty might privilege certain members of the "white mainstream" over others.

    I also think it's really valuable for people to reflect on ethnic identity. Certain ethnicities in the US are constantly made very aware that they are "ethnic" (recent immigrants and/or people of color come to mind especially). I think, though, that it's valuable for white people to realize that they have an ethnic history--too. Being part of the so-called "mainstream" does not erase that, as I feel your post does a good job showing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tillie, it's so interesting to reflect on all the different things that come together to form who we are. You do a good job of including many of those aspects and reflecting thoughtfully on them.
    I appreciated how you dug deeply into your heritage to come to a better understanding of your own ethnic identity.

    I agree with Nate that the U.S. makes people of darker skin color constantly aware that they are "ethnic." I think it's important for people who have white skin to dig into their ethnic history as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tillie, I learned something from you -- I've never heard of a pickle ornament on a Chirstmas tree! Which heritage does that come from? Is it for good luck? I appreciate how you describe the distinctiveness of German Americans as well as the ways that the differences have faded over the years as American culture has changed. It's interesting to observe how societies draw racial and cultural boundaries--which ones move, change, and evaporate, and which ones stay the same.

    ReplyDelete